Saturday, September 3, 2011

Rest for the Weary

I wanted to blog about the most wonderful thing that happened about six weeks ago, but in order to do that, I have to go back even further.  Around two years ago, my husband was just starting his tour at the Pentagon.  He left for his first day of work, and I thought he'd be back relatively quickly.  My experience with the military is that usually the first day of any job after a move is fairly light.  They want you to get checked in with all the various offices around the unit, and give you a chance to take care of stuff at home, since usually there are boxes to be unpacked and utility companies to deal with and things like that.  Well, my husband left for his first day of work at the Pentagon and...14 hours later he came home.  I should say that I always do poorly on days when I think my husband will be home early.  Every minute that passes the deadline I've set in my head causes my frustration that he isn't home "yet" to ratchet up a notch.  It makes things very unpleasant for all of us!  This day was the day that I had to lower my expectations quite a bit.  I knew the next two years would be hunker down mode for us.

So, that first day was a sign of things to come, and that tour in DC was a very sanctifying experience for all of us.  After about six months or so in to the shift work, long hours, and stress of a demanding job, Steve and I started talking about trying to organize a getaway after the tour was over.  It was mainly just a dream at that point, but we started talking about it. 

Fast forward 18 months to July of this year and my very blessed husband and I were boarding a cruise ship!!  My mother-in-law flew all the way out to our place, stayed with the kids for 10 glorious days while Steve and I cruised up and back down the east coast.  We boarded our ship in New York, sailed up to Cape Breton, then did Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Maine, Boston, and Newport.  We relaxed, we ate, we touristed, and then ate some more.  I look back on that vacation and just think how very blessed we were to be able to do such a thing.  The best part of the vacation is that when it came time to come back home, I was not at all sad that the trip was over, I was just plain excited to see my babies.

Peggys Cove, Nova Scotia

Me, being goofy in Halifax
 
So happy to see my boys!  (this one sat in a puddle just before I got to him!)
Great to be home



3 comments:

Kate said...

oh aren't getaways the best!!?? I'm so happy you guys had a chance to be alone for a while. what a blessing. :)

Mama Mote said...

He promised rest for the weary, just not when. How great you were able to take that time to be together, and really together. Nice pics. Your family looks so cute. hugs

PARAMOUNT PAKISTAN TRUST said...

I love your post. Nice pitcs, visit my blog for Entertainment Stuff