Saturday, August 4, 2007

Dessert!

I made this tonight for a neighborhood get together and it was a big hit. It's from my new Junior League Cookbook. I was a little nervous serving something at a party that I'd never made before, but it turned out great. And I should say that my "neighborhood" only consists of 3 houses, so that lessened the risk of embarrassment considerably.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3-1/4 oz. pkg. dry vanilla pudding mix (NOT Instant)
3 tbsp. butter, softened
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 (15-20 oz.) can sliced peaches (in juice, not syrup) well drained, reserve juice
1 (8oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp. reserved juice
1 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Directions: Combine in large mixer bowl flour, baking powder, salt, pudding mix, butter, egg and milk. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Pour into greased 9" deep dish or 10" pie pan. Place drained fruit over batter. Combine in medium mixer bowl cream cheese, sugar, and reserved juice(3 tbsp.). Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Spoon to within 1" of edge of batter. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over cream cheese filling. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until crust is golden brown. Filling will appear soft. Store in fridge.

Jodi's Notes
--If you're not a fan of peaches, you could make this with pineapple too.
--I used an 8" cake pan to bake it in and it turned out great, but I ended up having to serve it from said pan because there was no graceful way to dislodge it and put it on something prettier. If you have a springform cake pan, it would work perfectly for this recipe.
--It took me awhile to find non-instant pudding mix (none at the commissary, but yay for Safeway!), and it came in a 4.6 oz box...I just guesstimated how much 3-1/4 oz was

No comments: