Saturday, November 17, 2007

Craftiness

So, I've just gotten into stamping and card making. I wanted to make my own birth announcements and when I went to the stamping store in downtown Oak Harbor, I found out they do a (free!) card making session each Friday. It's really great -- you can go in anytime during the day and they have all the supplies out to make one card. Plus they set out a sample for you, so if you're like me and not really all that good at making stuff yet, you can just copy their design. The above is what I made yesterday.

The scan didn't come out so well, but it is a scarecrow stamp on creme colored paper, colored with pencils and a little strategic glitter placement. Then I used what looked like a mini shaving cream brush to put some distressing ink all over the paper. Then I took the metal side of a ruler and scraped up the sides of the paper. After that, I put some straw around the orange card and put Mr. Scarecrow on top of it with some little adhesive squares. Easy peasy! Again, this was all done from someone else's example, so no real points for creativity on my part unless you count the coloring job.

But I did design and make Ethan's birth announcements all by myself and they are looking pretty spiffy. It only took me 2 months to get half of them finished! I think they will be in the mail after Thanksgiving, but I'll put a sample one here after I mail them.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, prayers would be appreciated for Ethan and I -- we are taking a big trip to Kansas City to meet all of his great-grandparents and great-aunts and uncles (basically all of my extended family). Steve is not able to go because of work, so I will be braving the friendly skies alone. Alone, but with an infant. Mainly I'm just daunted by getting through security with a car seat, stroller, diaper bag, myself and, oh yeah, the baby! Anyone got any tips?

No comments: