Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Just Use Vaseline!


Little Ethan has quite sensitive skin. Around the middle of January I took my red, itchy boy into the doctor to see if I could give him (and myself) some relief. The doctor looked him over and gave us a treatment plan which included a couple of different steroidal creams for flare ups. The other part of the treatment was to coat Ethan in Vaseline (petroleum jelly) 2-4 times per day. I was a bit skeptical to say the least. You see, I had bought and tried expensive baby lotions, baby eczema creams, and gentle bath soaps. The products I bought said things like "colloidal" and "hypoallergenic" and "natural oat extract". If the expensive stuff wasn't working, what was a $3 jar of Vaseline going to do for him?

Let me tell you, since being on the Vaseline plan my baby actually has baby soft skin! Every morning, afternoon, and evening I grease him up and since I have started doing that his skin is wonderful! He still has flare ups, but they don't spread or get weepy and crusty (ew, I know). I stopped using my expensive diaper rash cream too and now I just keep Vaseline on his bum. It works wonders! It is greasy and messy to apply, but luckily it is winter so his arms and legs are covered and not getting petroleum jelly on anything but his clothes.

Anyway, many of you more experienced parents may already know about the wonderful substance that is Vaseline, but I thought I'd share for those of you who don't.

2 comments:

Vicki said...

Jodi... I've never heard of this! Luke has had skin problems since infancy and I've tried everything you can buy- except vaseline! Can't wait to try it... thanks for sharing your tip!

Kristen Borland said...

oh, yes, vaseline is great. i put in on zeb's cheeks when he has a cold because his snot (gross, i know) can irritate is very fair skin, or back when he was teething because his drool would irritate his skin as well.

also, i found aquaphor is really good as well. he's so used to having it, he asks for it when he goes to bed if i forget to put it on (even when he doesn't need it). he's such a creature of habit!